Instructors: Allison MacPhail
Learn how to make your own slip casting mold. This will allow you to recreate your favourite pieces at the same size and will give you the opportunity to make sets. This class will also familiarize you with woodworking equipment.
- What is slip casting explanation.
- Understanding undercuts
- Making a model for a one-piece mold.
- Prepping model for mold making by adding a reservoir and walls.
- How to correctly mix plaster for ceramic mold making.
- Make the mold.
- Making a 2-piece mold from a found object supplied by the instructor.
- Prepping the first half of your mold & pouring.
- Cleaning and refining of the one-piece mold from last week.
- Pouring second half of mold of the found object.
- Refine second mold.
- How to prep slip for casting
- Demo-of slip casting
- Brief intro to marbling slip and inlay in a mold.
- Casting both mold
- Demo-Basic surface decoration/ slip trailing
- Last day of wet clay pushing everything along
- Bisqued pieces back.
- Finishing up everything and a critique where we look at people work all together and talk about failures and successes.
- One functioning 1-piece mold
- One functioning 2-piece mold
- Minimum 3 casts from the 1-piece mold
- Minimum 2 casts from the 2-piece mold
621 Timothy St, Newmarket, ON L3Y 1R3, Canada