Last Updated: July 12, 2020
Effective July 17th 2020, visitors to NewMakeIt will be required to wear face masks/coverings, as per the York Region council vote conducted on July 9th 2020. Masks will be available for purchase at the front desk for $1 each.
NewMakeIt will be open to all of its members on Monday, June 22nd 2020.
Our team is really excited to have our members back to making and learning. We have really missed being able to share our space with the community and are very happy to be re-opening.
We have adapted our procedures and policies in accordance with public health directives. We are committed to creating a safe space for our makers, and are employing a number of cleaning and disinfection procedures to ensure that our makers can continue honing their crafts in a safe and secure manner. We ask that prior to visiting our facility, you carefully read through the changes we have implemented:
- Hours: NewMakeIt's hours for the time being will be as follows:
- Monday – Friday from 9 AM – 9 PM
- Saturdays & Sundays from 10 AM – 6 PM
- Please note that last entry will be 1 hour prior to close.
- Tours: To visit the facility for a tour or for any other reason, you must book in advance. You can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or giving us a call at (289) 841 1270.
- Mandatory Booking: To limit the number of people and allow for physical distancing, you must make a booking to come to NewMakeIt. You will NOT be allowed to enter the facility unless you have made a booking in advance – this applies for ALL machines & workspaces. These are the areas you can book, and the duration for which you’re able to book them:
- Pottery Kiln Area (3 Hours)
- Lasers (Hobbyists: 2 Hours / Professionals: 4 Hours)
- Computer Use (3 Hours)
- Pottery Work Area (3 Hours)
- Wood Shop (3 Hours)
- CNC Router (Hobbyists: 3 Hours / Professionals: 6 Hours)
- Metal Shop (3 Hours)
- Paint/Finishing Booth (3 Hours)
- Desk Space (3 Hours)
- Making a Booking: To book, please send an email to email@example.com with your name, the area you’d like to book, and the date and time for which you’d like to book. You will receive confirmation of your booking.
- If your membership is not active, it will be reactivated on the date of your first booking.
- Hobbyist members can make bookings 3 days in advance. Professional members can make bookings 7 days in advance.
- You will be asked to clear out your materials and work 5 minutes prior to the end of your booking to allow us to sanitize the station prior to the next member.
- Booking Restrictions: Members who fit any of the following criteria will NOT be permitted to make bookings:
- Displaying symptoms of COVID-19 (see symptom list here).
- Had contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- Have returned from another province or country in the past 14 days.
- Face Coverings: On July 9th 2020, the York Region council voted unanimously in favour of a motion by Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti requiring business operators to create a policy to prohibit anyone not wearing a mask from entering their premises, from July 17th 2020 - November 30th 2020.
As such, all visitors will be required to wear a mask when in our facility, effective July 17th, 2020. We have masks available for purchase at our facility for $1 each at the front desk.
- Sign In/Out: To keep track of the traffic in our facility, members will have to sign in and out at the front desk during each visit.
- Sanitization: Upon arriving at NewMakeIt, you will be asked to sanitize your hands before touching any tools or equipment. We also encourage you to wash your hands frequently.
- Payment: During this time, we encourage you to use contactless methods of payment and refrain from using cash. That being said, we will still be accepting cash.
- Tool Use: If you utilize tools in the tool room, rather than returning them to the appropriate shelf, please place them in the Used Tool Bin in the Tool Room so that they can be disinfected between each use.
- Kitchen Space: Please note that we are unable to provide members with access to our communal kitchen until further notice.
Our team has been working hard to ensure we are able to provide you with a space to work safely, and would like to thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions regarding our new procedures, don't hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org.